Sunday, August 24

Olympics: over; television: finally able to rest

What are we going to watch now? The Olympics have dominated our television-viewing lives for 17 straight days, half a month, and now, we're like, what do we do now? It'll be an interesting day tomorrow. I'm pretty sure we'll be rolling with some withdrawal all week.
As a sofa-bound, non-expert analyst on the Games, I'll say this: I really quite enjoyed them a lot. The drama and tension lived up to the hype; the athletes performed spectacularly; the venues and pageantry were awesome; and, of course, as Americans, we kicked butt. Who doesn't love watching their home country come out ahead of everyone else? However, and sadly, through no fault of his own, I'm totally over Michael Phelps. I'm calling it Phelps Fatigue. But Brian and I did stay up until 2 a.m. this morning watching the men's basketball gold-medal game, and the ceremony following it, because we're that kind of obsessive lately. Besides, it was the first game I was able to watch in its entirety.
And what about London in 2012? The commentators were right tonight during the ceremonies when they said that no other host country would ever be able to match China for its ceremony, dollars spent, and sheer resources used during these Games. I'd hate to be the London organizers right now. They've got their work cut out for them.

Also, I dragged my family to Tiffany's this afternoon. I used my $131.55 credit and bought the Elsa Peretti open heart pendant. The saleslady, feeling sorry for me because of my indecision, gave me the black cord for the necklace, in addition to the silver chain that comes with it. Here, I've got the cord on the heart. I think I like it better that way. Tomorrow though, I'll wear the silver chain, just to see if I can like it that way, too. Who knows, maybe I will end up changing back and forth.

No comments: