Friday, August 22

I'm thinking something silver, duh

So the state of Arizona wants my Tiffany's credit. I got a letter from the fun jewelry store yesterday, telling me this:
"The abandoned property laws of Arizona stipulate that when a merchandise credit has gone unused for a significant period of time ... with no communication regarding specific reference to the credit, [Tiffany & Co.] are required to transfer it to the State's custody."
Arizona wants my $131.25 so bad that it's going to be all collections agency on me? Well, forget that. Tiffany's says that the last time I did anything with the credit was on October 19, 2003. I remember that day, actually. I was at the store in Boston's Copley Plaza.
Thankfully, Tiffany's is as opposed to Arizona getting my credit as I am. First of all, the store did its homework, because I got this letter at my current address. I know that I haven't done anything with Tiffany's in a while (2003?), let alone in the last two years, so how did it know how to find me? ... Of course, the fun is that knowing that Tiffany's can always find me!
But back to the letter, also, it came with an affidavit that I could sign and send back to Tiffany's (I did), letting them know that I still have the credit (I do), so they don't have to give it to the state (now, they won't).
And with this letter, and my reading it this morning when Brian was home, comes this declaration from my husband: "Jeez. Just go buy something with it and spend it." Um, okay! Of course, his comment came with a caveat of spending "about $150," but I'll choose not to acknowledge that one when I'm at the store this afternoon.

No comments: