Saturday, August 9

Help the honeybees

This is what I would look like if I were a honeybee that still had most of my facial characteristics. I created and downloaded this off the Haagen-Dazs web site devoted to saving the honeybees. It's really very cute. (Check it out by clinking HelpTheHoneyBees.) Anyway, the ice cream company has latched on to this cause for a very solid reason: honeybees pollinate the ingredients in the ice creams. A chief example is strawberries. But as a fact, bee pollination is essential for ingredients in nearly 40 percent of Haagen-Dazs flavors.
From the literature: Over the last several winters, more than 25 percent of the honeybee population in the United States has vanished, many under mysterious circumstances. Early reports from beekeepers show that this phenomenon is continuing in 2008. Everything from poor nutrition [and] invasive mites to Colony Collapse Disorder -- a phenomenon where bees from a colony abruptly desert the hive and die -- is affecting the bees. The disappearance has scientists stumped and has the potential to affect many of our favorite nuts, fruits and berries.
So here I am, doing my part to raise awareness to the plight of the honeybee, so I can help save my delicious Haagen-Dazs strawberry ice cream.

No comments: