Monday, June 9

Must have more cow bells

Am I the first person to think that maybe, just maybe, Will Ferrell is getting a bit overexposed? I've got to tell you, we watched Semi-Pro tonight, and it was pretty much unwatchable. In fact, Brian hid my magazines and catalogs so that I would be forced to watch the movie without purposefully distracting myself from its ridiculousness. And that really happened. From the very beginning, with the "Love Me Sexy," singing, to the end, and all the afro and idiocy in between, I was in mental anguish. As to that, what's even worse is that we actually bought this awful movie, so confident were we in its inevitable humor and clever brilliance. How disappointed were we? Very.
But beyond how bad the movie was, I saw in it the same character that Ferrell has been playing in the last several movies: the "sexy," stupid, leader of the pack who, somehow, wins despite these virtues. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy was new, different, funny. But then, along came Blades of Glory, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, and Kicking and Screaming. All the same, all less funny than the one before it. Really, I'm over him. Except for Anchorman, and Elf, of course, and Old School. Oh yeah, and cow bells.

No comments: