Saturday, April 26

"Not just regards, but best regards"

My mom is awesome for many reasons, but one of them is a specific thing that, at the time, I thought was lame, but now I totally and completely appreciate her for putting me through. She made me watch the movies that she loved as a kid and young woman. Of course, for every couple hits (West Side Story, The Sound of Music), there was a miss (Franky and Annette, pick one), but I find that these choices of hers have made me a more well-rounded entertainment junkie. Yesterday, as I was flipping through the channels, I came upon one of our favorites on Turner Classic Movies: The Unsinkable Molly Brown. This movie is, no joke, one of the best movies ever, and one of my personal favorites. Debbie Reynolds and Harve Presnell will forever hold a special place in my heart because of this film, as will Leadville and Denver, and the color red in a house. The whole movie just rocks like no one's business, and I was eager to record the rest of it off the TV, even though I have the DVD on my shelf. So I watched the flick later on the afternoon, and was happy to tell Mom that night that I got to see it. We sang a little bit of "Belly Up to the Bar, Boys" (Mom would like that as a ringtone, please. Anyone know how to make that happen?), and at that moment, I realized that my iPod was sadly lacking these classic tunes. Well, not anymore! Yay iTunes! They have the soundtrack, and now I can here more "Colorado, My Home" and my fave song from the movie, "I'll Never Say No to You."
I don't remember the first time I saw Molly Brown. I only know that I've been able to sing the words to the songs for as long as I can remember. I really can't wait for Mom and I to watch it with Sydney for the first time. I hope she won't mind the singers on the sofa next to her.
Best Regards ...

No comments: