Sunday, December 30

Yep, I'm done for the night

I always feel like my house is a little bit cleaner when the dead Christmas tree has been removed. Defrocking a tree is a thankless task. I hate taking the lights off it because all I can smell is the dust that has settled on the tree's needles for the last three or four weeks, all I can see are the dead needles flying this way and that, and all I can do is keep my mouth shut to prevent wayward needles from landing in my mouth. I'm so glad that it's done now. Who knows what Sydney will think tomorrow morning when she arrives in the living room and the big tree that she had to "be gentle" with over the last weeks is suddenly missing.
I've started somewhat on the rest of the Christmas decorations as well, but really, my energy level has fallen sharply since I sat down to check my e-mail, so I think that the rest of the house will wait until tomorrow.

One of the best things about movies nowadays is that regardless the story, the dog never dies. How many movies have you seen that, no matter what the odds, the dog always survives? Independence Day comes to mind, as does that ridiculous Sylvester Stallone movie about the subway tunnels. ... I like this about movies. It makes me happy to know that the dog is alive to continue playing, eating, and sleeping as dogs do. SPOILER ALERT: Not so in I Am Legend. I've no shame in telling you that, even though the title character's wife and child have perished, as has a significant portion of the human race, it is the death of this dog that still haunts me tonight. Yes, actor. Yes, dog is really alive and happy. But you all know how affected I am by movies, and I'm just continuing to be bugged by this sad turn of events. Grr. Oliver, though, always benefits from these issues of mine because he gets so much more love, hugs and treats just for being him than normal.

No comments: