Wednesday, November 14

Sexy is as sexy does

Does anyone really care about People's Sexiest Man Alive? Seriously, I can't believe that the magazine is still taking part in this silly exercise. It was stupid however many years ago when they chose their first Sexiest Man, I think it was Mel Gibson. And it continued to be stupid over the last few years, when the magazine actually recycled a few Sexiest men, including Brad Pitt and George Clooney, who were given the title twice.
While I would never begrudge Matt Damon this year's title, since he kinda deserves it based on the Bourne movies alone, I will say that the practice seems awfully archaic this time around. So much so that when the article came out announcing the honor bestowed upon him this morning, the first thought I had was, "Wow. They're still doing that?"
There comes a point in every magazine's life when it simply must change the way it does things. What does it use as a model of male sexiness upon which to measure these guys as the "Sexiest"? I can probably guess how it picks the Man, too. "Who's Sexy this year, everyone? Put your suggestions in the hat. We'll go with whoever has the most votes."

No comments: