Wednesday, October 24

Fire, fire, go away

My heart goes out to all these people. I feel so helpless for them, and so afraid, too. Wildfires are a way of life out there in Southern California, kinda like earthquakes, but when one comes along this devastating, it's really so much harder to wrap one's head around the consequences of living out in that state. My friend, Josh, almost had to evacuate, but thankfully, the fire switched directions and he and his family were able to stay home. I can't imagine the fear and uncertainty of having to evacuate your home. What do you take with you? People and pets, of course, but what else? What stays and what gets tossed in the car? Photos, I guess, but for so many of us, packing photo albums takes a couple boxes. I look around and wonder what I would grab if confronted with having only time to take what means the most to me. It really makes you appreciate how peripheral so much of our stuff is in our lives. Even now, looking around me, I can't decide on any one thing or things that are that important. I guess it must be the intensity of the moment that would help in that situation.
Mom tells me that the winds have died down out there. Let's hope that the flames will follow suit soon.

No comments: