Sunday, September 9

I love her, I love her not

I think it's official. I'm over Britney Spears. Yes, even over the last several months, I've harbored a small amount of hope for her, that she'll settle down, stay home with the kids, and work on developing some self-respect. I had hoped that she'd learn from her obvious bad decisions, and make moves to become a better mother, pop star and person.
Then I saw her performance tonight on the MTV Video Music Awards. I won't lie to you, I knew, straight up, before watching it that it would be a train wreck. But right now, I'm just stunned at how awful it really turned out to be. Let's pile on, shall we?
She totally phoned in the whole thing; was she even trying? She's lost her ability to lip-sync even a little believably. She can't dance anymore, and strolled through the whole routine. (Actually, and this is way harsh, but she reminded me of Billy Ray Cyrus in last season's Dancing With the Stars, where he'd just stand there rocking back and forth and the dancer would perform around him.) She seemed to be about two seconds away from yawning. Her outfit was ridiculous. Oh yeah, and her previously enviable toned body has turned into a fleshy clone of mine.
I was hoping to see her arrive on stage fierce. You know, rocking her bald head, lithe in something steamy but not slutty, and prepared to let it all out for her chance to remake herself. I wanted to see the dancing of bygone days, like in the "Stronger" and "Oops..." videos. I wanted to see that she still cared even a little bit for, not only herself, but those of us who hadn't completely lost faith in her as a girly pop star. Alas, I am disappointed.
What really sucks is that the song is pretty decent. It's got a fun little hook to it, and she kicks it off by saying, "It's Britney, bitch." I kinda love that.

1 comment:

-T. said...

I would just like to say..that I would give anything to be as "fat and flabby" as Brittney Spears after two kids.