Thursday, September 6

Danger! Danger!

I had a childproofing company come out to the apartment today to evaluate the place. I'm actually quite impressed that my house isn't as dangerous for Sydney as I thought it could be. And truly, if the only thing I have this company do is strap my tall furniture to the walls so she can't pull it all down on top of her, it will be totally worth it to me. But there's that, and then all the other stuff: cabinet doors should be locked, toilets should be locked, spring doorstops should be replaced with all-rubber stops, televisions should be strapped to the walls, access to any wall outlets should be denied.
At the end of the day, the estimate is a bit more than what I anticipated. But where, really, do you cut a corner? Doorstops: removed from estimate. But that's only a couple bucks. I can't not strap up the furniture and televisions. I can't not do the cabinets. Those are the things that she is always getting into. And I certainly don't want her drowning in, or developing some illness from, our toilets. So now what? We bite the bullet and pay the man, that's what.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how do u child proof toilets?

-T. said...

Here's the thing I have noticed about baby-proofing (as I increasingly find myself in homes that are baby-proofed)....they are also "Tara proofed" the toilet thing is very inconvenient and the locks on the cabinets make it VERY hard to sneak a hand-full of Doritos without getting busted. Anyway - regardless of the cost of baby-proofing..watching childless friends navigate the terrain must just be the icing on the "priceless cake"