Thursday, September 13

And he's got pink hair

I'm ashamed. I really am. I'm embarrassed, too. I wish I could stop, but I can't. It's like a weird drug. I'll whisper it: i've been reading perezhilton.com, and checking it regularly throughout the day.
I hate it; I really do. As the leader and blogger for a celebrity gossip web site, the guy's a complete ass, and totally judges people on what they wear, who their friends are, what they do for a living, and just what they do. He's so slanderous it makes my journalistic heart palpitate. Goodness, but the things he says. It's addicting.
He calls people "douches." He reports on the most rampant rumors with little to no fact verification. He screams from the headlines that people are drunk, druggies, too promiscuous, and calls them racist, gay and homophobic. He's the most blatantly self-promotional person I have ever come across. He draws little penises on the photos he posts on the site.
I secretly love it. I'm so excited that our society allows for guys like this that, even though I'm not a fan of most of his posts, I simply must check it out several times a day. ... Just to see what he's saying and who he's skewering.
But, journalistically, he's killing the medium. For all the reasons that I stated above: no fact checking, slanderous name calling, drawing penises in people's mouths. It's so wrong. i love it.

No comments: