Sunday, August 26

He's an idiot. I'm the one in charge

Yesterday, we spent a good portion of our afternoon on the hunt for a new car stereo into which I could plug my iPod directly. We started at Best Buy, where all the needed equipment was stocked several months ago when I last asked about this whole thing. The guy there was quite helpful, but the store did not have the proper harness, or whatever, that was necessary for the installation. "Try Audio Express," the guy suggests. "They should have it." I thought, "Okay, we can do that, but it's going to be a lot harder to kill an hour during installation there than in Best Buy."
Thirty minutes later, we finally find the Audio Express, completely on a fluke, mind you. But we found it, and headed in to check out what they had to say. We walked in and the guy greeted us nicely and asked what he could help with. I told him what I was looking for, and he asked to see the car's current stereo system. He looked at it, then asked one of the technician's in the garage to come look, too. The guy did, they conferred, and then we adjourned back into the store.
He held the door open for me, then led me right over to Brian, where he proceeded to make his entire pitch, including possible installation issues, stereo suggestions and equipment benefits without looking at me once. Women out there, you would appreciate this. This guy spoke, for five straight minutes, about my car, my stereo, and my options, without looking me in the eyes once. He only had interest in what Brian had to say, and Brian's questions. Of course, I was so flabbergasted that he would completely ignore me once the conversation turned to the actual sale, that I really couldn't say anything. I kept waiting for him to look at me at some point. But he never did! Never!
Well, that was the end of that. Any stars this guy might have had in his eyes about getting Brian on the hook for anything were quickly dashed. Once he finished his pitch, I said, "Okay. Thank you," and we left. I didn't want to spend a single moment more in that place and in that guy's presence.
Really, it has been so long since I've come smack up against an attitude like that. I still can't figure out why I didn't say anything to him about why he wasn't speaking to me, since it was, after all, my car, and more importantly, my decision. What a pig.

No comments: