Thursday, April 19

Hypocrisy masquerading as "responsibility"

I'll move beyond the obvious horror and sadness associated with the Virginia Tech shootings, beyond any comment that I could make on the state of some of America's youth and their yen for gunfire and murder, beyond any thought as to how I may never let my daughter ever leave my house for fear that she might become a victim of an awful crime such as this. Really, there's nothing that I could say that you haven't already heard, or thought to yourself.
I will comment on the "backlash" that NBC is reportedly getting for airing the gunman's videos and pictures on television yesterday and last night. It did not escape my notice that all the nightly newscasts, on channels other than NBC, found so many people to say that the station should not have aired the stuff, and was, in fact, irresponsible for doing so. I'm sure you all saw a number of on-the-street interviews about it. USAToday.com actually has this as its top story this morning. My gripe with their "holier than thou" attitude is that not a one of those stations or web sites would have sat on the video and pictures had it dropped in their laps. They're jealous that, for whatever reason, this kid chose NBC.
You may agree though, that the channel should not have run the information. You've the right to think so, but here, right here, is where news is news and sensitivity doesn't have a place. For better or worse, this kid's manifesto is news. His pictures, his videos, his words are all news. This is the worst school shooting in United States history: news. The kid sent out a package telling everyone why he did it: news. The grieving public's desire to get a little insight into this psycho: news. There's not a place for sensitivity in the news -- I think that the American public has forgotten that, in this sanitized world view that it's given now. So recognize NBC's decision for what it is -- reporting the news when it's given to them.

No comments: