Tuesday, April 17

Fairy-tale wedding dresses

Seriously, where was the Belle-inspired wedding dress when I was planning my wedding? Truth be told, this one doesn't look that different than the dress that I did wear, and I still LOVE my dress with a passion, but I would have at least liked the option of wearing a dress like our favorite Beauty and the Beast heroine.
It's really quite lovely, as I look at it again. I like it a lot.
But kudos to Disney for finding yet another way to market the hell out of the whole Princess phenomenon. The gown was designed by Kirstie Kelly for Disney Fairy Tale Weddings, the company's attempt to grab a bigger piece of the wedding cake, and feed its burgeoning Princess business. The new line of character-inspired bridal gowns is aimed at women who want to look and feel like Cinderella at the ball on their big day.
The 34 gowns (I could only find two online; this one and Ariel's, which looks kinda slutty) debuted on a New York catwalk on April 15, 2007, and range in price from $1,500 to $3,000, below couture prices but above the average wedding dress price of $1,000. The price point is aimed at a generation of couples who are getting married older and paying for their own celebrations, Disney said.
I am loving how much Disney is beginning to market to the older (read: not kids) generation. I mean, we all grew up heavily influenced by the stuff. We should be able to buy a dress just like Belle's, or Cinderella's, or Aurora's. (I'm trying to figure out the 34 different wedding dresses in Disney movies. When I come up with the list, I'll let you know.) Marketing genius, I say.

No comments: