Saturday, March 10

A pretty princess

This is a picture of the very first black princess in Disney's movie-making history. Goodness gracious, it's about time they had some princesses of color. If not for Aladdin's Jasmine, I would think the crop of princess movies was the worst kind of country club's debutante class.
Isn't she beautiful? I'm digging her dress in a big way.
Anyway, this image is of a recording session for the movie, The Frog Princess, set in New Orleans. (That's Randy Newman there on the piano, and that's a rant for a different time. Get some new music makers, please, Disney.)
More than the fact that the movie is making an African American girl a princess, and showcasing the amazing New Orleans as a backdrop, I'm happy that we are finally getting a new princess. I've got to tell you, I never thought I'd get tired of looking at Cinderella, Aurora, Snow White, Ariel and Jasmine. This overwhelming princess hysteria has turned me a bit sour to the whole thing. Walking into a Disney store now can be likened more to cruising the Barbie aisle at a toy store!

No comments: