Wednesday, March 28

I like that he sang "Infatuation"

Last night, I was witness to one of the weirdest melting pots of people ever.
I saw older women wearing tank tops, sequins and mini skirts. I saw young women hussied up in short-short skirts, tie-dyed tank tops, fishnet stockings and knee-high boots. I saw an impersonator that posed for pictures with fans. I saw couples, groups and partiers rocking out and getting kinda drunk. I saw that more than half of the audience didn't stand up and dance or sing along.
Where was I?
I was at the Rod Stewart concert with Auntie Donna. (I will not let her off the hook just because she was dressed better than most anyone else there; she audibly moaned every time he shook his butt on stage.) I was up for attending the show simply because I knew it would be fun. And it was. Of course, given the fact that I was never much of a fan, nor was Mom (who shaped my early musical life via her radio choices), I only recognized about half the songs. Of those, I only knew the choruses of about two thirds. So, while I couldn't sing along all that much, I still enjoyed the dancing and all that.
Things I learned last night: Rod Stewart is Scottish; he wanted to play football; he's dated and married blond models almost exclusively; older women make the worst-looking hoochies; there really is a market for the Bedazzler; small venues are the only way to go when attending a concert; it's a pleasurable surprise to see female horn players, violinists and piano players alongside the back-up singers; and there is such a thing as a one-song encore (Really! Only one song! Ridiculous!).

No comments: