Tuesday, January 9

"The people" vs. good taste in entertainment

I'm watching the People's Choice Awards right now. Having sat through the first hour already, I've come to one single and overwhelming conclusion: "the people" and I have a very different idea of who the favorites are, what the best of any show is, and what makes a good movie. Forget who won what; it's the nominees themselves that scare me. Two and a Half Men? King of Queens? The Lake House? Underworld: Evolution? Shakira? All of these nominees, though entertaining, can hardly be considered the best of any of their peers. (Throw in Ghost Whisperer and Borat, and it's some weird entertainment bizarro world where everything bad/cheesy wins awards for superior quality.) What has the power to change the downward spiral of the taste of the people? Heroes. Lost. Johnny Depp. Deal or No Deal. Of course, even though I don't agree with most of the winners so far tonight, I'll still watch the rest of the show. ... Sometimes I hate being this obsessed with entertainment.

p.s. Heroes just won for favorite new television drama. So the people and I have that one in common. And then they go and choose American Idol. *sigh*

Update: OMG!! I just saw a teaser saying that Jennifer Love Hewitt is up for an award on the show tonight! I mentioned Ghost Whisperer just to make a point! Ack! The people are freaking me out!!

No comments: