Thursday, November 30

Last night's Rockefeller special

Sydney and I watched Christmas in Rockefeller Center last night. Well, we watched most of it anyway. Some thoughts on it: 1.) I don't get the attraction to Taylor Hicks, the American Idol winner and last night's first performer. And really, I don't think that most of the audience, which looked on in some disbelief when he broke out into jazz carols, gets him either. Dude, it's "Winter Wonderland" or whatever; just sing the song. Don't try to make it yours. 2.) I dig Bette Midler in a feather wig. Where can I get one of those? Mom bought Bette's CD the last time we shopped together, and on the cover of that, she is wearing a red feather wig. I would have preferred to see her in that one, rather than last night's white, but who cares. A feather wig is the f*cking coolest. 3.) NBC just simply had to put in their promos for shows, turning the festive event into a house ad. I'm not watching 30 Rock for a reason. Leave me alone. (That may change tonight though, as it's been moved to a post-Scrubs time slot.) And this new reality show about the Grease Broadway musical? Stupid looking. 4.) Al Roker and Anne Curry did a good job with minimal good material. 5.) Christina Aguilera looked nice, and having Sasha Cohen skate to her song ... "Hurt" ... wait a minute. Shouldn't she be rocking some cool yule song? Ripping through "Jingle Bells," a la Barbra Streisand, would have been an awesome thing to see and hear. A ripe opportunity was blown with her song selection. 6.) I didn't know that the first tree in Rockefeller Center was put up by some construction workers wanting to touch people with a symbol of hope. 7.) Lionel Richie does have a new album coming out. And it's a Christmas one, too! 8.) The switch to turn on the tree's lights looked like a Staples "Easy" button. 9.) While the tree looks good on TV, it's still so much bigger and better in person. 10.) Yeah, I think I'm catching the holiday spirit...

No comments: