Wednesday, November 22

"Edelweiss" would have been better

I dug Gwen Stefani's last album, Love. Angel. Music. Baby. Andrea got it for me for my birthday a couple years ago, and it's been on steady rotation in the car since. The first single off the album, "Hollaback Girl," was kicky and fun (even though I still have no idea what a Hollaback Girl is). After watching Stefani perform her new single last night on the American Music Awards, I fear for the new album. I've got to tell you, I never ... ever ... thought that anyone would sample the yodeling puppet song from The Sound of Music for a pop single. That's just weird. Gwen comes off as a fair yodeler, but I think the whole hook is misplaced in the icky refrain, "Wind it up! Wind it up!"
And speaking of the AMAs: I only watched about an hour's worth of the show, but was pleased to see that there was a surplus of acts performing. It seems as though everyone who had an album to promote was invited to perform, including The Dixie Chicks, Jay-Z, Tenacious D (awful to be pimping a movie about performers on a show for performers, but oh well), the above-mentioned Gwen, and Lionel Richie. Actually, I don't know if Lionel Richie has an album coming out, but it was fun to see him perform "All Night Long" live.

No comments: