Monday, June 5

Let them marry

I don’t understand how a country built on freedoms can have such a large population of its citizens that wants so badly to restrict freedoms for a population of itself. I speak, of course, of the proposed gay marriage amendment. I’m not sure if I’ve gone off the soapbox on this one before, and may not have, simply because it is an issue I feel so strongly about. I mean, who are these people who think that they can, in this day and age, tell another citizen of this country who they can and can not marry? Why does the idea of two people who love each other enough to promise their lives to each other, and who may be the same gender, frighten them so much that they are actually trying to push through a Constitutional Amendment to prevent such unions?
You know what Constitutional Amendments are for? They’re for racial equality; they’re for voting ages; they’re for suffrage; they’re for abolishing slavery. Notice that every amendment is centered around including people in the workings of this country; they do not, repeat NOT, exclude anyone. That there are those who wish to ban gay marriage is a travesty, an embarrassment and a blot on the foundations of this country. People should be allowed to marry anyone they want to! Regardless of their gender! It doesn’t matter!
I’d break out all the divorce statistics for so-called “real” marriages, but they’re even more embarrassing than this crusade. I remember reading that monogamous gay couples have longer, healthier and happier relationships than many heterosexual couples. I’m not surprised by that, are you? Certainly those who have to fight harder for their identities in this world, and to find true love, appreciate it more, and treasure it more.
That a sitting president is leading this crusade in bigotry is a disgrace.

That’s all I have to say on it right now, but I’m sure that, as this attack on freedom continues, I will keep posting about it. I look forward to the post that will be headlined, “Gay marriage legal in United States,” because really, there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bigotry...I guess that would be me.
I don't believe in gay marriage.

What a disgrace I am.

-T. said...

I'm with you, Kimmie. How can love be such an aweful thing? As far as the legal ramifications - don't they deserve the same rights and protections that are afforded to other families WHO RECIEVE A TAX WRITE OFF FOR IT NO LESS?!