Friday, June 30

It's a bird! A plane!

Brian and I came to a realization last night. Our Saturday morning movie matinees have spoiled us for seeing any films at any other time. We went last night to our favorite theater to see Superman Returns. The theater itself wasn't packed or anything, but there still seemed to be that required group of teenage boys who sat in the back, who thought that by making their comments loud enough for everyone to hear, they were really funny. Not so. We go to the movies, first and foremost, to enjoy the movie-going experience. To me, that does not include kids who make inappropriate sounds during the film's quiet moments. While the people who laugh at them the first time are the initial offenders that make the boys continue, it's inevitably the one guy who yells, "Okay, that's enough!" that really gets them going. My contention is that if no one laughs the first time, they'll quiet down. But for the one guy who tells them to be quiet, he only acts as a catalyst for them to exhibit more thuggish behavior. At any rate, between the kids making noise and the fact that it felt so late when we got out, we've decided that sticking with our weekend matinee schedule is the best option for us. Does that make us old fogeys? To some, perhaps. I prefer to think that it makes us movie connoisseurs who know when and where a movie is best enjoyed.
And as for the film, I dug it. The new Superman is hot, by the way. Brian liked the flick, though not as much as I. He doesn't think there's a market for the strict goodness that is Superman anymore, where I felt it was refreshing. Sure, there was emotional angst and heft involved this time around; sure, this movie made Supes a bit more human. But that's the right direction, I think. To have him be nothing more than a poster boy for good is boring. The Lois/Superman love story was satisfying, and I find myself eager for the sequel (because you know there's going to be one!). Oh, and per usual, Kevin Spacey was phenomenal.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

And the early shows are cheaper! It is kind of sad though, when one realizes they have forever passed over to the Adult Side. I remember cringing when I heard the words "kids today...." as a teenager, well now I find those words coming from my mouth. And even worse I catch myself saying "because I said so" and "because I am your mother".

SCARY!!!

But talking in a movie? Not cool. Never was. Never will be.

PC