Thursday, June 22

Go, go, go Joseph!

Greetings from Cali!
All is going well, and my first two days here have been chockablock full of food, family and activity. (I'm really quite beyond exhausted.) I logged about 22 hours of awake time yesterday, and I'm still suffering for it. I anticipate a full night's sleep tonight, and hope that I'll be able to hang with the big kids a bit better tomorrow.
Anyway; last night! As it was, yesterday was a good day. The flight was uneventful (except for the 20 minutes spent on the tarmac waiting for the gate to become unoccupied); the lunch at Islands kicked ass; and cruising through Nordstrom is always a good thing.
Mom's "Theater Night" was last night though, and I was bribed into going to the show with a yummy dinner and delicious dessert at Off Vine. The show was one that we had seen before, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. From what I remembered from the first time, I did not thoroughly enjoy it; it was in Egypt; and there was a children's choir involved. Well, let me tell you that since the last time (about 10 years ago maybe), they've done a bit of modernizing to the visual effects of the show. I'll spell it out this way: Day-Glo cheerleaders; Jacob talking on a cell phone; a Western-themed Seven Brides for Seven Brothers dancing segment; Elvis as the king of Egypt; and a disco party finale complete with mirrored pants, short shorts, and a flashing neon backdrop that would make John Travolta proud. In a word: awful. But true to my paganist leanings, the part that offended me the most was not the farcical take on a Bible story, but the blasphemy of Elvis in an Egyptian skirt singing about goats.

No comments: