Tuesday, February 14

Wal-Mart goes "morning after"

Well, I've hit on guns and hunting this week, so I guess the next logical course of action would be to tackle contraception. It's all in my ongoing effort to piss off the religious right. Today, I say "Wahoo!" to the Massachusetts state government for requiring that Wal-Mart carry the morning-after pill at all its pharmacies and Sam's Clubs in the state. Wal-Mart is way too big of a company, institution, what have you, to be trying to moralize the people of this country on contraception. They sell condoms, yes? That, in itself, goes against the teachings and preachings of the Catholic church, so why should the morning-after pill be treated differently?
Three women in Massachusetts sued the company because it did not stock the pills, arguing that state policy requires pharmacies to provide all "commonly prescribed medicines." The state board that oversees pharmacies voted to require that Wal-Mart carry the drug. A letter has been sent to Wal-Mart, who has until Thursday to provide written compliance. According to the company spokesman, the company hadn't yet received the letter, but will comply with the edict. Until now, Wal-Mart carried the pills in Illinois only, where it is required to by state law. Why all the brouhaha? The company has said that it, "chooses not to carry many products for business reasons," but does not elaborate more than that. (And let's not even get started on the fact that they sell guns, too.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not surprised that I refuse to shop at Wally World. No, not because they refuse to stock Playboy and other things, not because they're squeezing out little stores that can't compete, not even because they don't offer their employees health insurance . . . but because whenever I go in one it's a freak show.

I'm afraid of being greeted by a creepy old man at the door wishing me a pleasant day, and the store is always full of crazy old women walking around talking to themselves and other circus freaks.

Give me Target anyday. That said--I'm sure Houston is full of Wal-Marts--and even Super Wal-Marts. Woo hoo--super freak!

Anonymous said...

I go to Target too.Everybody goes to Wal-Mart and none of them speak my lingo,don't at Target either but there is not a crowd to deal with.
Didn't know they sold guns there all I saw was BB-guns.
Amy---Have a pleasant day!!

-T. said...

Way to go girl! Love your feminist leftist side!!