Tuesday, February 14

St. Valentine was beheaded

According to romantic legend, Saint Valentine was a kind-hearted Roman priest who married young couples against the wishes of Emperor Claudius II, and was beheaded for his deeds on the 14th of February. We celebrate his death by keeping Hallmark in business; paying astronomical prices on flowers; binging on chocolates; and having sex with our significant others (or whoever the single people may pick up that night). Also, and contradictorily, the legend of Valentine's Day can be attributed to several other stories, and no one knows exactly why February 14 was selected to honor the man, myth and legend. Cupid's association hinges on his role played in stories of love and passion, and has nothing to do with the saint or date listed above.
When I worked in Phoenix, my daily commute took me past a flower shop. Every morning, the marquee outside the shop would advertise the seasonal flowers and their cost. Once Feb. 1 came around though, the "dozen red roses" listing would begin its inevitable rise skyward. A dozen roses in mid-January costs $9.99 or so, but by the time Feb. 13 and 14 came along, the price had taken off into the atmosphere, and was listed around $35.99 or more. This disgusted, and continues to disgust, me. My abhorrence for the increased flower hike was solidified again last night when, on my way home from the gym and passing the flower stand, I saw more than 15 men standing in line, with their wallets out and sporting browbeaten expressions, all of them seemingly wondering how far they would have to bend over to keep their girls happy this year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree flowers are a bend over pain.Cost to much for something that only lasts a few days.
I got some and had them sent to work to the wife and when she got home she says "I am not going to work tomorrow".
So I am on the phone getting a change done to home and I get the third degree on who I was talking to.
Not worth the trouble

Anonymous said...

Yah and BBQ is much better anyway!

P