Monday, February 13

Hunter is shot; quail rejoice

I love how indignant hunters get when they get shot. I love that they get all, "I can't believe that I was minding my own business out in the woods and some guy shot me!" Hmm. Irony? I think so. I love that we can all say, "Dude! Now you know how it feels to be all sifting through the underbrush, looking for yummy treats, and to have someone shoot you ... with bullets!" I love that, in this case, the hunter lost the contest.
Here's the story: this weekend, Dick Cheney accidentally shot one of his hunting partners during a quail hunt at a ranch near Kingsville, Texas, where the v.p. goes shooting once a year. (This image is not from the incident.) The victim, 78-year-old Harry Whittington, who is in stable condition, had apparently dropped back in the party to pick up his kill, and upon returning to the group without advertising his presence, was accidentally shot by the vice president. Whittington was "peppered" in the face and chest with birdshot from 30 yards away. He never lost consciousness, and was immediately aided by the v.p., the secret service detail, and an ambulance that apparently follows Cheney around from place to place. Whittington was a guest of the ranch's owner, and may or may not have ever met the v.p. before (reports depend on the news outlet reporting).
More than this being a Republican thing about Cheney (although this happening to the pro-NRA guy who thinks the country absolutely must have big automatic weapons on the streets and in homes does add some ironic glee for me), it's more of an animal-hunting fairness issue. It's like the bullfighter who gets gored: the bull wins! In this instance, I feel like it's all the dead birds' karmas committing some kind of vengeance against the hunting party.
Seriously, I think that before anyone is issued a hunting license, they should be shot somewhere -- somewhere relatively unimportant, but somewhere -- so they know what it feels like to be struck by a bullet (or pellets, as the case may be). Under those restrictions, out of that party, only Whittington should be able to ever hunt again, since he knows how is feels to be "peppered," bagged and tagged.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a NRA member,have guns and hunted.
Sooo- You think I should be"shot," bagged and tagged.
Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous--do you think it's safe to be anywhere in the state of Texas without day glo orange attire? Ack--I don't look good in orange (can you hear me whining?!)

Kimmie G said...

Oh, Daddy, you take me too seriously. Rather than promoting you getting shot, I was going somewhere else with this: I've never been a fan of hunting; don't believe that the NRA's stance on automatic weapons is valid; and enjoy the irony of hunters themselves getting shot. That's about it.

-T. said...

Um - despite feeling sorry for a 78 y/o man...(who today had a heart attack!) - I have to admit to seeing the humor in this myself. I actually felt as though Karma had finally caught up with "DICK" and maybe he would finally be called to task for one of the many selfish, careless, unthinking acts he has wrought on our country..alas, the 78 y/o man from Austin did not expire..so I suspect once again, Dick will go without having to answer for his actions.