Monday, February 6

The ads have it

That's twice so far that I've been scooped by my blog readers: once by Tara over the Golden Globes, and this morning, by Amy, who wanted to know my take on the commercials during last night's Super Bowl. It was my intention to dive into the ads this morning, after doing some more research, and give you my opinion.
And to kick it off, we've got this from Amy: I pick either the Ameriquest one with the lady on the plane or the Bud magic fridge! G picked Benny Hill; and D picked the monkeys working in the office.
My preference, and the first to have B and I laugh out loud was Bud Light's "magic fridge," and the revolving wall. Brilliant, with just the right amount of guy humor, but still broad enough to appeal to everyone. Another one of my faves was the small Clydesdale trying to pull the Budweiser carriage, and the big horses behind pushing, though he didn't know it. Brian dug the Sierra Mist airport security "beeping;" the touch football game where the guy tackles the hot girl; the FedEx cavemen; and of course, GoDaddy.com's breaking tanktop strap. Others that made me giggle: hiding beer in the office walls; the sheep streaking the game; MacGyver; and Kermit's new Escape Hybrid (above, and I'll be checking it out online today).
Some that we didn't dig at all: the Overstock ad (I don't know why, but I hate those ads. So cheesy and breathy); monkeys; Fabio; the Whopperettes and their musical show, yikes (left); Diet Pepsi as talent; Boomer's play-by-play on The Shaggy Dog; and the Escalade on the catwalk.
Movie promotions; razor ads; ESPN phones; and Sharpie ads were fine, but nothing that we wouldn't expect to see during some other event. There was just a lack of huge, big, mega-magic in this year's ads. Notice that there were no erectile dysfunction ads, too, which is good, and minimal toilet humor and boobs. I was really pleased by Dove's self-esteem ad, too (above left), and hope that the spot's positive reaction may actually convince the ad companies that it's not just guys who watch the game.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was depressing to see Kermit sell out.

-T. said...

I totally agree with you! And I loved seeing Kermie - I missed him. Also - adored the Clydedale ad...

Anonymous said...

I will definately vote for the Clydsdale ad...and was also disappointed by Kermit selling out...my laugh out loud moment was the airplane ad for Ameriquest!

Anonymous said...

I now have a new career goal--to be a Whopperette dancer . . . sigh . . .

Anonymous said...

Airplane ad was my favorite.