Wednesday, January 18

No worries, Kelly

I've got to say, before the whole thing gets blown out of proportion: I think it's okay for Kelly Clarkson to deny American Idol the right to use her songs in competition. Of course that's where she came from, and of course she owes the show a debt of gratitude, but I don't think that loaning out her tunes is the end-all, be-all of loving gestures that must be made. Why should she let someone who's just trying to knock her off the top of the charts sing her songs?
I'm sure there are a ton of singers who have refused the show. You know, it's not a PBS documentary or afternoon special on the dangers of drugs; it's American Idol.
Kelly's fought hard and worked hard, I think, to make it on her own without the phrase "American Idol winner" constantly dogging her. Cheers to that, Kell! There's no shame in staying away from a chapter in your past.
There are a multitude of songs these singer wannabes can choose from. Get creative, kids.

No comments: