Sunday, December 25

Heavy sigh

As Austin Powers would say, "And I'm spent!"
We were up at 8:30 this morning, which was ideal, since we stayed up until 12:30 last night drinking hot chocolate and watching television. All our presents were opened and trash was taken care of by 11, which also was perfect, although there is a ton of garbage hanging out in my pitifully small (and seemingly smaller tonight) entry way waiting for Tuesday. Our Christmas Day feast of BLTs and other assorted snack foods were delectably wonderful for lunch and for getting us through the afternoon. We kinda flaked out on a proper dinner, as I was wanting to finish a book (PopCo; I don't recommend it too highly, as there was a whole lot of math), and Brian was cussing and moaning his way through the last bits of a video game. But right now, it's after 9, and Christmas is about over. And I'm done. Exhausted; bleary-eyed; sorta claustrophobic since we spent all day indoors; and struggling with a bit of a "been sitting all day, have you?" headache. I'm hoping to take a nice walk tomorrow, and maybe drag Brian over to the Burberry sale or something. We must spend at least a few minutes outside!
As for my feeling of odd Christmas melancholy, I think Brian described it best as saying that it's just because, for us, today was like any other day. Even if it was Christmas, we spent a majority of the day doing what we normally do: reading and playing video games. No gatherings to attend, no big dinners, no family insanity. So between the two of us, we've decided that next year, no matter where we are, we'll be Christmas-ing with the family. Just saying it, and deciding that together, makes me feel better for next year. I'll be looking forward to it!
I hope you all had a good holiday, too!

No comments: