Tuesday, December 13

Cool rider

In Grease 2, Michelle Pfeiffer sings an incredibly bad song, titled, "Cool Rider." The song refers to her need, desire and yearning for a good motorcycle rider to come into her life, essentially sweep her off her feet, and then they would ride away together. Today, I experienced a completely different kind of cool ride.
Here, in Massachusetts during the winter, as a common occurrence, the mechanical aspects of a car tend to freeze. A popular peeve is windows that freeze shut, and the several minutes and most of the drive to work it takes for them to thaw enough to open and shut, and to do it without making a horrible clunking, cracking ice-type of sound.
This morning, when I went to crack open the rear passenger window, and it didn't go down at all, I checked it off to the extreme cold, waited a few minutes, and then held down the button again. The window went down about three inches, which was a bit more than what I wanted, but then wouldn't go back up. Umm, yeah, it's cold. "Window, roll up."
I tried to make it go down more, assuming that in doing so, the window may go up all the way. You know, the zipper solution. Window goes down another three inches, and again refuses to go up. So now I'm driving to work, window in the car open six or seven inches, on a highway, freezing my butt, and no way to fix it unless I pull off the road. I arrived at work, and was able to shake, rattle and pull the window up those first three inches, but then it was stuck for good, and it had to stay as it was all day.
Trip home: window still wouldn't go up; hat, gloves and visible breath the whole trip home. Brr. My knight in shining armor was able to pull and finagle the window closed when I got home, but I still am not trusting it enough to test it on an open-and-shut experiment.
I've written up a little tag/sticker for that window's button to ensure that I don't open it again, and we'll just add that little malfunction to the list of random things broken on the car. You know, in the sunny states, one never has to worry about the car breaking from the cold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least you had a little voice to talk to... she was quite happy to encounter you on Spring St. and tell you all about her day.

P

PS It is quite interesting to read about all the common winter in Massachusetts stuff from a sunny stater.