Friday, December 2

Bad traffic

Traffic, I can handle. I mean, I've lived in Southern California, and I can handle traffic. There's no such thing really as bad traffic, because it's all bad, and it's all traffic. No one goes anywhere, and time does nothing but tick away.
This morning, as I cruised up onto Storrow Drive on my way to work, brake lights illuminated everywhere around me, and the cars came to a halt. It's notable because there is rarely traffic along this road in this direction, since I go against traffic to the workplace. But Storrow is one of those roads that once you get on, there are no offramps for a mile or so, and once you're on, you're on. The cars stopping and jockeying for position did not concern me so much -- as the traffic, like I said, I can handle.
It was the gas gauge screaming at me that there was no gas in the car that was worrying me. I knew, on my way home last night, that I would have to get gas this morning. (In a personality quirk exactly like my mother, I hate, absolutely hate, to get gas until the light comes on.) The light wasn't on yet when I hit this wall of traffic, but I knew that it was only a matter of minutes, and that if I ran out of gas in the midst of this traffic, the good people of Boston would kill me. No joke, they would end my life.
But more annoying than that was the fact that, having maneuvered into the traffic and started inching along, we, 20 minutes later, finally got to that point in the traffic where, for no apparent reason, the slow down just ends, and cars are able to speed up and go about their business at a regular clip. This is the aspect of traffic that bugs me more than anything. I mean, if I'm going to be sitting in the damn traffic, I want to see the reason why everyone slowed down in the first place! I want to see the carnage, the flat tire, the person getting the ticket, or even the fender bender! I want to know what made me later to work!! I do not accept that it was something that I couldn't see. I don't accept that!!
(By the way, the gauge light went on just as I was pulling into the gas station, and I was still late, but on a good note, hadn't been killed by an angry mob.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEP,just like your mother!
Run out of gas sometime where you don't want to be and maybe you will learn.
Never let the gas go below 1/4 tank.