Monday, November 7

British movies

Usually, when it comes to things British, like my car, I tend to think, "a bit odd, perhaps, but whatever. Cheerio!" (How else can you describe an owner's manual that refers to the hood as a "bonnet," the trunk as the "boot," and spells tires with a "y.")
At any rate, Brian and I have discovered that we love the British movie. Some examples include Snatch, The Full Monty, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and Layer Cake, which we watched last night.
Why Layer Cake? Because I'd heard good things about it; it was new to Netflix; and because it's got the new James Bond, Daniel Craig, in it.
So what's with the love of the Brit movies? Simply, because the makers are not afraid to go with the shocking, and non-happy, endings. (Sorry, if I just spoiled them for you.) They'll pull you in, make you love the characters, and then shock the heck out of you when the bad ending comes along. Last night, we just sat on the sofa, stunned and disbelieving, at this movie's finale. Really, it was just a good movie. I highly recommend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sound's like the story of life..non-happy,endings.