Saturday, October 8

Red Sox

When I moved to Boston, two people told me two different things to not adopt while out here: a Boston accent, and a love of the Red Sox. I've not been able to sufficiently replicate the accent, though I try, simply because I think it would be fun to pull it out every once in a while. But on the subject of the Red Sox, I say that John would be very disappointed in me.
It is impossible to live out here and not become a Red Sox fan. It's impossible to not get sucked into the vortex that was the Curse, the hatred of the Yankees, and the love of the game, Fenway Park, and to a certain extent, the pain. It's an all-consuming love affair, taking over lives during the season, and having significant impact throughout the rest of the year. I've really never seen anything like it before. In California, people have a love of the game and their home-town teams, but the passion just doesn't compare. Simply put, it's a difference of "in like," and "in love."
Last season, as you can imagine, was incredible, and ended with the biggest bang ever. This year, unfortunately, went out with a whimper. The 2005 season is officially over for us in the Nation. "Wait 'til next year!"
One more thing before I finish: I know that I'm a true Red Sox fan now, because even though my team didn't make it to the Series again and win, I find just as much glee in the Yankees getting their butts kicked last night, and perhaps losing to the Angels and getting their season cut short, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A Red Sox fan fears not pain...

A Red Sox fan must have patience...

Welcome to the Light Side, kid.

AND the Evil Empire lost!

P.

ooathi