Sunday, October 2

Halloween decorations

Halloween is my second favorite holiday. (Christmas is my first favorite, mainly because of the family gatherings, smells of the season, holiday shopping, and general merriment.) Halloween, I love because of its unconditional embrace of mischief, unbridled fun, candy dependency, and the ability to, for one night, be anyone in the world that you might ever want to be. (More on that later...) Oh yeah, and it's a pagan holiday.
I put out my Halloween decorations today. As a general rule, I set out the decor for a holiday on the first weekend of that holiday's month. (Don't try to reason it, that's the way my world works.) Of my Halloween decorations, I prefer the witchy stuff, but my house also is sprinkled with ghosts, spiders, bats and jack-o-lanterns. A couple of my fave objects include: a candy dish with a ceramic hand coming out from the bottom to reach for whoever is going for candy; a small ceramic building titled "Phantom's Opera;" a Garfield dressed as a bat who can be attached via string to appear flying; and this year's ultimate find, a porcelain witch's shoe-shaped candy dish.
While the Halloween transformation is not as drastic and overwhelming as Christmas, it still makes me smile. Although, in looking around, I still have a couple places for some new stuff. I think I'll visit Target next weekend...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget my PEEP"s !

Kimmie G said...

Halloween peeps are kinda creepy, but I eat them anyway. Go get some, Daddy! They're good for you!