Friday, October 7

DVR

Amy has Tivo, and is able to record her favorite television shows with ease. I am jealous of this. My prehistoric VCR is unable to cooperate with my digital cable, so my television has to be on, and the cable box on the right channel, for it to record a show.
Brian and I have considered Tivo several times, but have instead stuck with our digital cable through Comcast. Now, I'd seen enough commericals about Comcast's DVR abilities, and we pay enough to them every month, that I thought we had it, too. So Wednesday night, because Lost was pushed back super late, I sat through the DVR tutorial and set the DVR recording. The screen said that it was recording, so I thought I was good to go. Well, I went in search of Lost last night in the "Saved Programs" list, and was bitterly disappointed to not find the episode. I called Comcast.
Apparently, since I don't have the special DVR box, which would replace my regular digital cable box, I wasn't really recording. My current system can "apply" the recording technology, and would indicate such to me, but it isn't really doing it. Nice.
"Okay. I'm an idiot," I say to the lady on the phone. "How much is a DVR box?"
Hello!! It is a mere $9.95 more a month! Sweet!!
Today, I call them back. They'll be by on Tuesday between nine and 11.

(p.s. Don't cry for me having missed Lost this week, I haven't. It's on ABC again Saturday night.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Something tells me if they aren't clever enough to figure out how to give you an error message like; "you don't have this service, you silly girl.", then me thinks you might have a bumpy road in DVR land.

Being a geek means I am often the early adopter of new technology, so I have had a Tivo for over 4 years. I've had friends try the cable version of Tivo offered by their local cable companies, and they just don't seem to have the polished feel of Tivo. When I first bought the Tivo, my wife was very skeptical. It took about 2 hours before she thought it was the coolest thing in the world. We now don't understand how we lived without it.

Have fun with your new DVR.