Monday, October 3

Blue toenail polish

There are a minimal amount of things that I'm superstitious of, or that I consider lucky, in my life. I don't take any chances on most of the traditional things, like open umbrellas inside, walking under ladders, or broken mirrors. However, I don't sweat crossing a black cat's path, stepping on cracks, or saying "Beetlejuice" three times.
I do though, thoroughly believe in wishing on a blown eyelash off the left wrist, tossing spilled salt over the shoulder, and wishing on a first star.
There is one other ritual that, up until now, only my mom and I have known and talked about. It's silly, you may think, but let me tell you, there is a streak going on here that's freakishly consistent.
If there's something that I want, need, or require some kind of Gramps-inspired divine guidance, I need only do one thing: paint my toenails blue.
Years and years ago, in a small, unassuming beauty supply store, I saw and fell in love with the Essie color, Aruba Blue. It looks great on my feet, and it used to be the semi-permanent shade on my toes. Brian doesn't like it too much though, so the frequency of use slowed down a bit. But that is when the magic started to happen!
Over the years, Mom and I found that with the blue polish on good things came my way: raises were awarded, jobs were offered (this, in fact, occurred several times), a proposal was made, and necessary confidence in anything was granted. I'm telling you, it's freaky. It always works.
I applied the blue polish last night.
And so, you may ask, what is the catalyst for this return to the blue?
You'll know soon after I do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sydney Bristow? Or Jenny Garner rather....

P

Still waiting on the URL.

Kimmie G said...

I'll stick with Jen Garner, actually, since Syd's baby's daddy... um... isn't around anymore.

Anonymous said...

I knew it - I want details as soon as they "appear"!!!
Andy