Friday, September 23

New Orleans

There are a lot of people out there who would just as soon see New Orleans drown in its own waters, bastion of debauchery and alcohol-fueled misdeeds that, to them, it is. For me, the city is so much more. I've been there a few times, each a life-changing experience in it's own way.
At 17: My first visit was for a convention. I traveled with Mom, H. and Auntie; took the city tour; was introduced to cafe and beignets at Cafe du Monde; got into a bar with my sister in-law's ID; and watched a Mardi Gras parade. I think, because of the humidity, the beauty of it, and the taste of nightlife, I fell in love.
At 21: In town for another convention, I was invited out with my brothers for a night on the town. We cruised Bourbon Street; drank some hurricanes; rocked out to some jazz; stayed out too late; and I had to get on a plane stinking of alcohol and hangover the next morning. Of course, I also visited Cafe du Monde a couple times. Love affair: continued, if also intensified.
At 31: Just last year: May '05. I was in town for a convention for my own job, but again, the first stop in town was Cafe du Monde. Cruising Bourbon Street isn't as cool when you're with your boss, but it was fun anyway. I was sad to leave without doing as many fun activities... Love affair: continued.
So, for me, to think of that city under water is heartbreaking. Of course, any time you've been somewhere, it brings a disaster in that place closer to you. All my thoughts are with the city, and its residents, especially now that another hurricane rumbles closer. There's another convention there next spring, and I hope to go, do my part for the city's re-emerging toursim efforts, and yes, enjoy some beignets at Cafe du Monde.

Photo of Cafe du Monde shamelessly stolen from its web site.

No comments: