Monday, September 19

The Emmys

I love awards shows. Those who have attended my Oscar events know this, and most people are cognizant of the fact that I will not be bothered for at least three hours the morning after an awards show, so I can catch up on all the gossip, fashion critiques and fun quotes from the previous evening. Having just finished my Emmy binging, I offer you the following:
Emmy voters are ridiculously predictable. A couple surprises got my hopes up, only to be dashed by tiresome, and repeat, wins by Brad Garrett, William Shatner, James Spader, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Tony Shalhoub. I am beyond pleased to see that no The West Winger walked away with a prize. (The show's biggest crime? Letting Aaron Sorkin walk away.) You know why the Oscars are more fun? Rarely does someone win two years in a row.
Lost, one of my faves, hit the stage for its outstanding drama series win, and I'm super excited! (Season 2 starts Wed. night!) Other wins I approve of include: Felicity Huffman (a great actress, and her winning negates some of the Housewife catfighting we'd be hearing about today if Teri Hatcher won); Blythe Danner, just because she's classy; Jon Stewart, who helms one of the best half hours on television; and Arrested Development, a show that, they're right, no one watches (easily the most in-your-face comment on the Emmys' blatant ego).
Who got robbed: Lauren Graham of Gilmore Girls (when will the Emmys begin to appreciate this show for its greatness, and this actress for her talents?); Zach Braff and Scrubs, the most clever and endearingly funny sitcom on right now; Jennifer Garner--she's been nominated so many times for Alias, a terrific show--oh, and she deserves to win; and Jeremy Piven, who's just awesome.
The Emmys tend to reward pedestrian comedy, and snub those that take chances, such as Arrested Development, Scrubs and even Desperate Housewives. The same, unfortunately, holds true for good drama, although Lost's win is a step in the right direction.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! How I miss your award show review on Monday mornings...its hasn't even been worth WATCHING without your commentary..now with your blog...I can watch again...knowing wry and sarcastic comments are never far behind!

Anonymous said...

K-
I am sure they gave it to LOST for all the wrong reasons.

I almost cried Sunday night when I jumped on the internet around 11.30 pm and THEN remembered the Emmy's. I was going to ask you about it on Monday, but I was too depressed over missing it.

*heads off to see if she can find an Emmy's fashion report on E!*

abbybelle